Monday, February 22, 2010

Group Colors


Chris and I both took a number of on-line color analysis tests. I likened the tests to a color horoscope. Some tests were meant to be general; some tests were meant to sell you something, and some were redundant. However, I thought some aspects of the tests were useful for providing a sense of introspection.

Chris's test results indicated that he has a 'purple' personality. When I looked at the 'purple' personality my source indicated that, "talent comes easily but 'purples' may lean too heavily on endowment and not enough on endurance. They have great philosophical powers and are tolerant" (Birren 41). He agreed with some aspects of the results and not others as did I. On the other hand, my test indicated that I have a 'white' personality. At first, I had negative associations with this because I think of the world in shades of gray not 'pure' white. However, I realized that in this context 'white' indicated a person who is primarily a 'peacemaker'. That is a pretty accurate assessment of my overall outlook. Chris and I found common ground in our color associations. I think we are different but that that contrast will work well together. We will be able to employ our different strengths and augment each others weaknesses. That sounds like something a 'peacemaker' would say ... hmmmm. Despite having been burned in past 'group' projects, I think this will be a productive association.

However, I don't think that these color tests are a reliable predictor of human behavior. Furthermore, I think the designers of the tests, in some instances, have an ulterior motive. For example, the Pratt and Lambert test site was created essentially to sell you paint. Additionally, there are cultural values that are associated with different colors that these sites do not address. For example, both purple and white are associated with death in cultures other than that of middle-America.

Work cited: Birren, Faber. Color in Your World. London:New York, Collier MacMillan Publishers. 1974. 41.

No comments:

Post a Comment