Thursday, January 28, 2010

Haitian Orphans 'Saved' by American Kids



Over the last few days I have been looking at the pictures of the Haitian earthquake aftermath and trying to absorb the horror of the situation. As I watched the local news last night, a local news segment interpellated my attention.

The 'feel-good' story of the day focused on a group of local school children. They had forgone the traditional gift exchange that is held near winter break for many American middle school kids. Instead, they chose to send a gift bag to Haitian orphans. The story was that the American children had 'saved' this group of orphaned Haitian children because they donated items to them and the Haitians received the gift the day of the earthquake. Hence, the Haitian kids were outdoors playing with their new objects when the earthquake struck.

I had conflicting emotions when I watched this 'feel-good' story. Initially, I thought, "How nice." As the story progressed, I became more conflicted. The Caucasian children 'saved the day' by shipping a few trinkets to these Haitian children. Now, the orphans are living in a chicken coop because it is the only orphanage building to survive. The American children are raising money to help the Haitian orphans. I suppose it is a step in a positive direction. However, the specter of colonialism lurks in the background. If the Haitian children had had decent structures to begin with, then the devastation might not have been as severe.

However loosely, the sense of faith in God and religious ideology seemed to be a common cultural tie that bound the two cultures together and was an undercurrent in the news report.

People try to make sense out of the world with whatever tools they have at their disposal. I think the news report was trying to denote an act of generosity, but connotes an act of superiority that troubles me.

Just in case you were wondering, I did donate to the Red Cross Haitian relief effort. I probably should have given more.

To view the original newscast go to: http://www.centralillinoisnewscenter.com/news/local/82844282.html

No comments:

Post a Comment